Evidence Based Birth® Online Essentials
Course for Parents
(Complementary For Cloud Nine Birth Services Clients Only)
Do you know that birth plans are rarely followed? The truth is, many expecting parents learn what kind of care they want during their birth, but in the end they don’t know how to get it! The solution? The exclusive Evidence Based Birth® Essential Guide for expecting parents, taught by Rebecca Dekker, PhD, RN, APRN. In this online video class, you and your partner will learn the Six Essential Steps of how to get evidence based care during your birth.
What will be covered in the class?
You will learn about evidence based care—what it is, what it isn’t, and how to talk with your provider about it. You will also begin to understand how to make sure your birth setting and provider will be supportive of your wishes, and how to educate yourself and gather your support team. Also, you will learn about the legal rights of people giving birth, and this is beneficial information for every expecting parent.
How is this different than childbirth education?
The Evidence Based Birth® Essential Guide does not replace childbirth education classes. Instead, the resources you will gain through this class are the missing link for those of you who want evidence based care but are worried about your wishes and decisions not being respected when you actually go into labor.
How does the class work?
The class is made up of 2.5 hours of self-paced videos. It was professionally filmed and has beautiful footage of the instructors teaching the Six Steps of how to get evidence based care to expecting parents. Once you log in, you will be able to watch the videos at your own pace, and you will have access to the class for 9 months. You can watch the class all at once if you want, or you can watch it a slower rate over about 6 weeks, and a weekly email will guide you through the course. The class is mobile-responsive, so you can watch it on your computer, tablet, or mobile device. You will also be provided with downloadable handouts available for you to take notes.
Are there any other benefits?
An important perk of taking the class is that you will have access to the Evidence Based Birth® Provider Listing. This listing was prepared by professional members of Evidence Based Birth® and is a work-in-progress, meaning that professionals (doulas, childbirth educators, nurses, midwives, and physicians) are constantly updating and expanding the list.
What are the learning outcomes for the course?
After completing the Evidence Based Birth® Essential Guide, you will be able to:
- Define evidence-based care
- Discuss the difference between evidence-based care and routine care
- Demonstrate how to talk with providers about the evidence
- Tell the difference between midwifery-led and medical models of care
- List red flags for birth providers and birth settings
- Describe what factors make out-of-hospital birth safer
- Discuss how partners and doulas can work together to provide labor support
- Identify the benefits and limitations of childbirth education and birth planning
- Discuss several solutions for obtaining birth goals in a less-than-supportive environment
- Describe the human rights and legal rights of birthing persons
- Demonstrate ways to use your legal rights during labor
- Identify several ways to "humanize" the people in the birthing room
These are just a few examples of the things that you will learn! Contact us to learn more.